Working within Agriculture/Agri-Science Queensland you will be working within a team who delivers extension activities to improve Queensland cattle businesses’ long-term profitability and productivity.
- The position will undertake, in collaboration with others, agreed activities in high priority government and industry funded projects and provide opportunities for change that benefit the Queensland beef industry.
- The position will promote new technologies and new approaches to grazing land management, animal production, herd management and business management practices aimed at improving business performance and opportunities for change.
3 positions available – Charters Towers, Richmond and Cloncurry
What you will do – Extension Officer (Beef)
- Develop and conduct extension activities and answer producer enquiries across beef cattle production, including grazing land management, herd management and beef business management.
- Lead aspects of extension and education delivery through industry and government priority projects such as Grazing Best Management Practices (Grazing BMP) and Grazing Futures.
- Enhance producer knowledge and capability to evaluate their grazing, herd management and business practices and performance and explore opportunities for change where businesses are interested in doing that.
- Assist producers identify, evaluate and implement strategies to increase business profitability and improve land management outcomes.
- Assist producers to develop technically sound on-farm projects and actions which deliver land management and productivity outcomes.
- Understand and use a range of extension methodologies to build relationships with stakeholders to achieve improved enterprise performance and environmental outcomes.
- Communicate and report on project activities and outcomes, both verbally and written, to industry and other interested stakeholders.
You’ll be good at
While we’re deciding if you’re the right person for the job, you’ll be assessed on the following capabilities that relate to the above tasks you will do:
- Ability to identify critical beef production issues and opportunities to improve the profitability and environmental performance of beef enterprises in north Queensland. (Functional/Technical)
- Encourages collaboration with peers to solve problems and is seen as a team player and cooperative. (Peer Relationships)
- High level verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills, relates well to people at all levels, uses diplomacy and tact, uses sound judgment on sensitive and confidential issues, builds constructive and effective relationships within a team environment. (Interpersonal Savvy)
- Analyses, interprets and solves difficult problems, engaging team and management input to provide accurate and timely solutions. (Problem Solving).
applications close 24 April 2019